Thursday, December 27, 2007

Locked Doors, Nice Neighbors, and a Warm Bed

Last night Bill and I got home from church around 9:10. We drove in the garage, closed the garage door and walked to the house. As we got to the front door I felt in my pockets and realized I didn't have the house keys. I said to Bill, "I don't have the keys, do you have the keys?"... pat, pat, pat... Bill: "I don't have the keys". Ohhhh.... they were in the front of the car. And the car was locked in the garage. We were locked out! We called the former owner as he still has access to our garage. He was on his way to Allentown but said he thought his keys were in his van and told Bill how to break in to his van. We hated to do that, so our neighbors are the former owner's parents and he called his parents to see if they might have a key. They said maybe, so Bill and I walked to their place (30 cold degrees outside) and got their keys. The lady insisted on driving us back, which was a good thing because the key didn't work. So we drove back to her house and got some tools to try and break in with. They didn't work. Someone suggested a putty knife to use on the garage windows. That didn't work, the locks wouldn't break (I guess that's a good thing). Finally, after several break-in attempts, we called Bill's parents and told them we were spending the night with them. As one last attempt we drove back to the neighbor's in her car, switched to her truck and loaded up one of their ladders to see if our upstairs windows might be unlocked. One was!, but the screen was in. The screwdrivers and putty knives were back at the neighbors so with her key chain Bill pried the screen out. He crawled in and unlocked the door. Fortunately I had been carrying the video camera and I got the "break-in" recorded. Funny.

We felt so thankful (after 75 minutes out in the cold) for our very warm house and warm/cozy bed.

We also learned a big lesson. But I'm not saying where the new keys will be hid =) Actually, we plan to get one of those key pads. That should make life easier.

2 comments:

Springer Family said...

Great story! LOL - it sounds like something from my life. :-) It was good to see you guys last week!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad this story had a happy ending. Thanks for leaving the window unlocked Jeanette. Bill